Sunday, March 11, 2007

"The Attorney General And The FBI Are Part Of The Problem, And They Cannot Be Trusted To Be Part Of The Solution,"

The words above belong to ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero. The sentiment behind them speak for me. It is time we drop this national charade and stop the destruction of the greatest piece of political writing the world has ever known. It is time to deconstruct the "Patriot Act" which was never patriotic to begin with. It is time we ask Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to stop acting on our behalf and step down NOW. FBI Director Mueller sadly must go too. This was on their watch. They do not get the privilege of cleaning it up or more cynically white washing it. Read the ACLU analysis of the report here

What the "Just Us" Department did (thats in justice for Just us) was lie, purposely under reported abuses, obtained personal information on thousands THOUSANDS of AMERICANS without cause and without permission. The excuse? Not enough training. Come on. To be an FBI agent you have to be a lawyer or an accountant or have some other professional background. These guys are not high school drop outs. They know how to read regulations and they know when they are being pressured by higher ups for information. THEY SPIED ON AMERICANS!!! Now Gonzales wants to remedy it with an apology and a few firings??? He wants us to trust him that he will make it better? I no longer trust this Attorney General with anything that effects my liberty interest, or any other interest of mine either. He is so married to the neo-con agenda that he has no idea how to check this or fix it. Let him go chase after dogs, people are far too scary for him.

Washington has a love hate relationship with liberty and freedom. They love to stand on the Capitol steps and talk about it. They love to quote Jefferson and Adams, however they are so uncomfortable about the idea that everyone of us gets it.
This is not a new thing. If you look at the original way we granted freedom it is right in the documents themselves. The constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Over the years there would be a public outrage and then there would be a loosening of the reigns of tyranny. The time is coming again.

Our "leaders" co-opted our privacy without justification. They forced our bankers and telephone companies to give up our information. Internet providers and credit card companies, our employers and other financial participants in our lives were all told they had to give up our records if asked. That is what our legislators agreed to when they passed the "Patsyriot act." They were able to do this without our knowledge because the act gave them permission to do it "administratively." I want to personally thank the gutless Congressman and Senators who voted away their obligation to act like a check on the administrations action. Who are so distrustful of Judges that they took away the "balance" the judiciary gives to the discretion of the executive. I have looked at who supported the act. I will remember you in '08 if you are still around.


It is time we Americans start to stand up for liberty. If we don't start getting more personally possessive of it, it may not be here for much longer.

3 comments:

Jennifer Phillips said...

I have not read your entire site, but I have skimmed it somewhat. I was wondering if you have ever done any ProBono work before? Please take a look at my blog and you will see why I ask. http://jennandchrisphillips.blogspot.com
I will continue to come back to your site, I am not much of a reader, especially on the computer, and finish reading your posts.
God Bless.

That Lawyer Dude said...

Jennifer.
Thanks for visiting the site and leaving a message. I do a lot of Pro bono and reduced fee work. Almost all of it is on Long Island and it is distributed to us by the Archdioses (or priests therein) or by the EDNY or the 18b panel in Nassau County. I am sorry I cannot help you out further.

Good Luck.

Jennifer Phillips said...

That's good. I commend you for that. Perhaps you may know of someone in Florida who is as humble as you?? I am not sure if you looked at my blog or not, but I (my husband) am in desperate need of some legal assistance. I have exhausted myself in trying to help my husband. All I can do is turn it over to the Lord and pray. I believe that when it is meant for me to "intervene" as a part of His plan, He will reveal it to me. I do not see it as mere 'luck' that our 'paths' crossed. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that; even if that is all you can do...that's more than what some others have done. Thanks again. God Bless.