Sunday, May 21, 2006

Do You Believe in Miracles? Ernie the Attorney Does

In the aftermath of Katrina, I found the reports of fellow attorney Blogger Ernie Svenson to be heartfelt, accurate and soulful. He was giving a first hand account of what the people he observed were experiencing. Having spent the months after 9-11 going to a number of funerals and memorials, and moving about NYC and LI in the aftermath of the disaster I found in Ernie's reporting a feeling of truth as I understood it.

After the 9-11 disaster, NYC Mayor Rudy Guilani really stepped up and showed me a leadership that I had not seen in him before the planes had struck. Rudy had been a mayor who, though I often agreed with his goals if not his implementation, was not able to bring the city together. In 9-11 Rudy performed like never before and earned the title of America's Mayor.

In the aftermath of Katrina, from afar, I was not very impressed with the leadership of Ray Nagins the Mayor of New Orleans. Frankly like Ernie, I was hoping Mitch Landrieu would win the election. However, that was not to be. Instead of anger and disappointment, fear and desolation, Ernie still is looking hopeful for his city and his friends and neighbors. I commend his post today as an understanding of hope and what form miracles can take.

No comments: