Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Is This The Right Way To Teach Kids To Do The Right Thing?: 17 Year Old Gets 10 Years For Having Consensual Oral Sex With A 15 Year Old.

Three of the Internet's most respected and well known Blawgers have called for the Georgia Board of Parole and Pardons to pardon a Seventeen year old boy who had consensual sex on camera with his Fifteen year old girlfriend. Howard Bashman (How Appealing), Prof. Eugene Volokh (The Volokh Conspiracy) and Prof. Douglas Berman (Sentencing Law and Policy Blog) are all calling on the Georgia government to change the sentence of this kid. Especially since the Georgia legislature changed the law under which he was convicted so that he would have committed a misdemeanor instead of a felony and could only been sentenced to a year, had he committed the crime in 2006.

I am sure that I have a number of opinions on this issue but I encourage you to look at the stories in the press about this case and to read the comments on Volokh and Sentencing Law Blog before answering the above question. Then click on the comments section below and let me know what you think. It is that simple. I will have more on this case and this decision by the Georgia Supreme Court in the near future, after I have learned more about it and after I see how you all weigh in on the matter.

No comments: